Sunday, January 3, 2010

death by chocolate

I stood at the drinking fountain with my two small children inside the Baskin-Robbins at the mall. Nearby, a high school girl ordered a double ice cream sundae with caramel sauce and whipped cream, nuts and sprinkles--the works. Her mother was obviously unhappy with the choice. "I'm going on my diet tomorrow, Mom--this is just my last hurrah," the girl explained.

I knew then that her diet was going to fail in short time just as certainly as I know now, twenty years later, that the girl is still fighting that battle. And I'm quite sure that inside her head there has been a catalog of justifications, bargains, excuses and plans.

Visualizing her slimmer frame, she's been telling herself, "in time for graduation . . . " "before my 10 year high school reunion . . . " "before the wedding . . . " "I'll start right after the holidays . . . " "after the baby is born . . . " "when the little one is in school full time and I can exercise regularly . . . " "before my 20 year high school reunion . . . " each time allowing herself to have that one final indulgence before getting serious and really doing it.

Having waged a similar campaign on and off over the last 10 years, I know better than "the last hurrah." It's an act I've never much participated in.

At work, five technicians and one pharmacist are going on the crazy-ass diet as of Monday, January 4. Since, once again, I allowed a few holiday pounds to make themselves a cozy home on my hips and thighs, I'm joining the madness and going on the diet with everyone else. And I've revelled in enough special treats lately that I won't be feeling any deprivation and, in fact, am quite anxious to start this regime in order to get back to healthier eating. I have had no "last hurrah" mindset. None whatsoever.

Still. All it took was working with Robbie on Saturday. He mentioned that he and Tracy would very likely eat fudge brownies on Sunday before buckling down to the rigors of the diet on Monday.

Fudge brownies. Mmmmm . . . fudge brownies . . . . It was all I could think about during the last couple hours of our Saturday shift.

By the time I clocked out on Saturday evening, I was famished. And I couldn't go home to eat dinner because I had to drop some things by my daughter's house first. Just to tide me over, it wouldn't hurt to eat a brownie or two in the car, right? A last hurrah, if you will . . .

Arriving in the bakery department, I realized the fudge brownies that I was craving so weren't cut into convenient pieces. Just a sheet of brownies in an aluminum pan. How could I eat a brownie while driving?

I did the unthinkable. I grabbed a fork from the salad bar. Yes, I drove in the dark, in the rain to my daughter's house while maneuvering a pan of fudge brownies and a fork. I knew without doubt that the paramedics would have no difficulty seeing what caused the accident I was surely destined to die in. There would be fudge smeared all over the smashed windshield and my face would be mingled blood, bone and chocolate.

"It was a classic 'Housewife Special', " they would tell the police officers. "Eating while driving," they'd say with authority.

I'm just going to pre-order my headstone now. It's going to say, "But she would have looked great after the diet!" I think that about covers it.

9 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

I can just imagine your obituary now. :-)

I've given up chocolate entirely for the month of January. So far, it hasn't been too bad.

CSY said...

LOVED this post! Just remember: don't deprive yourself of anything...if you want a fudge brownie, eat one. My doc said that when a person is on a diet and they deprive themselves of soemthing they want, they'll end up falling off the diet and being mad at themselves and the whole viscious cycle starts over again. Sorry for the unsolicited advice, I'll crawl back into my corner now...

Anonymous said...

you had brownies and didn't share with me?????? how dare you! that's a pretty funny story though and i can totally see myself doing that. the apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it?

Whitenoise said...

haha... Glad I didn't inherit the chocolate receptor gene... ;-)

EdwinaHugh said...

情色影片線上直播情色影片網情色火影忍者成人影片您要求的影片無法使用性交易影片性交易卡通影片性交成人影片性交影片快速動作性交影片貼圖性交影片直播性交影片性交口交陰戶影片性交免費影片性交線上影片性交影片liz名模寫真集la論壇kiss104貼圖區j我愛78論壇jp影片分享區jp免費影片jp免費成人影片jp成人貼圖網jp日本無料動畫jpdvdjolin圖japanav短片japanav免費電影i一葉晴貼圖區ivy許嘉凌寫真陰唇圖貼陰唇陰部圖陰部做愛自拍圖片陰部貼圖陰部自拍陰道濕潤讓性更完美陰道收縮影片陰道圖貼陰道啞鈴陰道內射自拍陰道貼影區陰道裸圖陰道陰唇寫真陰道陰莖

Anonymous said...

I just discovered the website who writes about
Several
home based business reviews

If you want to know more here it is
home based business opportunity

Anonymous said...

I want not acquiesce in on it. I over polite post. Especially the title attracted me to read the intact story.

"Tracy" said...

OH Kristin, you absolutely make me laugh! And I want you to know those brownies are my favorite and NOW I keep thinking about them! :)

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.