Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Typical Mouse Family Thanksgiving

I don't have any real blog posts in me right now. But ripping off conversations I have where other people are funny is okay, right? Plagiarism who?

A series of e-mails between me and my Aunt Candi who is hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year:

Aunt Candi
Hi Kristin,
You and your family are cordially invited to have Thanksgiving dinner with us! If you can come, think about what you'd like to bring.



Me
Thanks! I’m not picky about what to bring for dinner (okay, except I hate Jell-O : )


Aunt Candi
We feel the same about Jell-O. Guess what I'm assigning to your mom? :D


Me
Are you looking for specific veggies or side dishes or are you wanting everyone to just bring what they have a wild hair to make?

(Hint: don’t give me too much leeway because I’ll pick a recipe I’ve never tried before, I’ll realize at the last second that I don’t have one of the essential ingredients, have to run to the store, start making the food an hour later than I need to in order to make it to your house on time and I will not have read the recipe all the way through and won’t realize it needs to chill for 4 hours and can’t be served the moment I finish making it . . . in my car . . . on the way to your house . . . )

The moral of the story here is: don’t trust me with anything of major significance : )


Aunt Candi
I suspect there is a grain of truth to your story as I seem to know exactly what you're talking about from my own personal experience!

I'm just working up the details of what we should have to eat. No hurry right? After all, I've got 3 whole weeks to figure out the details, clean the house, prepare food, oh, and clean the guest house because my younger son's girlfriend will be staying there a few days. We all know what is (or should I say isn't) going to get completed so, as usual, bring your dusting cloth!


Me
I think the only requirement to make it a true Mouse Family Thanksgiving is pie. Fourteen different kinds of pie! Also, if I get around to it, I might supply peppermint schnapps and cocoa mix if that’s okay with you? I like a warm, sleepy drink after a tryptophan laced dinner : )

Best of luck with the planning and shopping and cooking and cleaning and cleaning the guest house and all that! Glad it’s you, not me : )


Aunt Candi
Schnapps and cocoa - that's a good idea! Oh, and the house cleaning is a little behind schedule. Because I've never met my son's girlfriend before. So I had to run right out and buy a new bra. You, of course, understand . . .

6 comments:

vuboq said...

I think I love your family. Adopt me? I'll bring the martinis.

Anonymous said...

i think it is sooooo not fair that the only thanksgiving you have ever brought schnapps to is one where i can't drink. how dare you be so inconsiderate! maybe i won't share my pie with you. but i guess that's not really a big threat though since there will still be twelve other kinds to choose from.

CSY said...

If I bring pie, can I come too? I'm LOVING the idea of peppermint schnapps and coco...

country mouse said...

Yes V and CSY, of course you can join us! There's always room for more . . . or there's always room for Jell-O . . . or something like that. I dont' know. Whatever. Just bring pie and booze and you're in!

LOL, anon. You'll be the only sober one so you'll win whatever games we play--that makes up for it, right? : )

Angie said...

Ooo! This means Anonymous can drive you all home!

Thanks for the lol. Gotta love that Aunt Candi.

Angie

Whitenoise said...

Happy American turkey day Kristin.