Friday, October 9, 2009

signs that my focus is a leeeeetle bit off . . .

I was at my daughter's house on a Friday night so she could pin up a pair of jeans I needed to hem. Because I'm a midget. Practically.

But that's not the important part.

I had worn the jeans to her house because blah, blah, blah, nobody cares why.

After the brisk work of pinning my pants up, Beautiful went to the fridge for a bottle of water and asked me if I'd like anything to drink. A large bottle of Gatorade was in the fridge. Suddenly I had a hankering for Gatorade.

For the life of us, we could not get that bottle open. And that's a serious blow to my ego because I am a freakishly strong woman and I am always the one people ask to open lids. Dammit.

We gave up and I decided to just stop at a convenience store on the way home and buy some of my own. Then I realized I was wearing pants that were pinned up and could not be seen in public that way--and I had nothing to change into. Naturally.

Discussing this conundrum with my daughter, she offered that, since she lives in a bit of a sketchy neighborhood, I could just take my pants off and go into the store pantsless for my juice. "Nobody would even notice," she added.

What I should have been thinking was how dangerous it is for my daughter and her young family to live in such a shady neighborhood and whether we should offer to help them locate a home in better surroundings.

What I was actually thinking was, "No, I can't take my pants off and go into a store. I totally have the wrong underwear on for that."

7 comments:

Kuckie said...

I probably would have been thinking the same thing!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

i probably would have been wondering if i had shaved my legs any time recently :)

CSY said...

At least you HAD panties on...THAT would've been a tad embarassing...just sayin'

wendi said...

Ha! Yes, you don't want to insult the 7-11 clerk with unfashionable underwear. I mean, really. :)

ShallowGal said...

Good thinking, I mean it wasn't like you were headed into a WalMart.

xo, SG

Whitenoise said...

Y'know... I've never had that problem...

CheekierMeSly said...

this is one for your book!