Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Number One Son told me he had planned to buy me a dogwood tree and plant it in my yard for Mother's Day. I thought it was a lovely idea but he said he'd been shot down by his dad.

"Why?" I wanted to know.

"Because Dad says our yard isn't big enough for another tree."

Number One and I surveyed the landscape and had a good chuckle over the lack of room for a tree. What with the wood splitter, the tractor, non-working hot tub, dirt bikes, in-need-of-repair jet ski and ski boat, cars waiting to be fixed up and resold . . . yeah--no room for a beautiful tree.

"I wanted to plant it in the front yard by the gate," he said.

"I think that's a lovely idea."

"Okay," he agreed, "I'll plant it and you and Dad can duke it out from there."

"So," I summed up, "what you're giving me for Mother's Day is a divorce?"

What a sweet, sweet boy : )



4 comments:

Storybook Woods said...

But you forgot the rule, today, everything you want it right. Just make sure he plants it today xoxox Clarice

Whitenoise said...

Funny how these things work... ;-)

CSY said...

Aren't children just the SWEETEST?!?!?!

Miss Got Wings said...

lol - what a great son! he can read you like a book