Monday, October 13, 2008

It makes me so mad I just want to throw rocks!

I went to Party City today to pick up a latex "appliance," as the box reads, for Youngest's 'Terminator' Halloween costume.

They had the perfect item for his costume, but nonetheless, I hate going to Party City in October. Because every time I do, it's a guarantee that I'll see insensitive, freaking stupid ass parents with frightened small children.

A couple years ago I saw a mom with a 4 or 5 year old child who did not want to walk down the aisle where the scariest costumes were. "Oh come on," the mother chided.

Stupid damn mother.

Today a little girl pulled away from mom's hand as mom began to walk through the aisles. "Why don't you want to look at costumes?" the mother asked, clearly befuddled--not an idea in her squishy head as to what the problem could be. "Because it's scary," the girl answered timidly. "Oh, no it isn't!" mother insisted. "Look, there's Freddy and Jason and . . . " she rattled off horror movie characters as though that would comfort a kindergartner!!!!

Idiot.

That scene was followed by a boy--no more than 2, maybe 2 1/2--in his dad's arms turning away from what must be shocking sights and whimpering. Dad chuckled. Chuckled!!! As though there was anything even remotely funny about putting terrifying thoughts into his child's head.

Retard.

Of course these little ones are afraid. Those masks with the gore and disfigured faces hanging next to bloody stumps of dismembered body parts are scary. Horrifying to someone small without much experience or perspective to draw from.

And they should be scary. Tender children shouldn't be so jaded that they can handle nightmare images without concern.

Freaking dumb ass parents.

Yeah. I'm completely judgemental on this subject. I won't even attempt to be diplomatic, understanding or unbiased.

Vacuous, weak-minded, witless douche bag parents . . .

7 comments:

jenontheedge said...

I'm with you. I don't understand why ANYONE would find those costumes interesting, appropriate, or humorous.

Storybook Woods said...

Okay I was in party city Monday to, we must have just missed each other. We could have thrown rocks together. Clarice-who is too scared to look at all those costumes.

ajooja said...

I hate Halloween. It just never made sense to me. I'm with you on this one and so much more. :)

Angie said...

Oh Kristin, I am SO with you. I remember how horrified hubby and I were while visiting the Haunted House "ride" at Disneyworld in Orlando. You wouldn't have beleived how many stupid parents we saw dragging their crying, obviously terrified small children into the place.

Were were equally horrified (maybe more so) when we went to see Pulp Fiction in the theatre and saw how many young children (10 years and younger) were there. With their parents. Give me a break.

Yeah, this subject is a big pet peeve of mine too!! Throwing rocks sounds like a great idea to me...

Miss Got Wings said...

Party City in October can be likened to a Saturday morning at Wal-Mart - get me the f outta there! And since Hubby has taken to competing w/ the neighbors on Halloween decorations, we keep ending up there at least once a week now - gah!

Jenny said...

and then they cant understand where their kids nightmares come from.
Come on, parents, you CAN be smarter than this!!!!
(can you tell I'm with you on this one???)

countrymouse said...

Yay--my peeps agree with me : )

Hi Jenny! I've been lurking at your blog every now and again. Congrats on baby number 2!!! You have such a sweet family : )

Ajooja--I'm not anti-halloween. One of my favorite things to do is take regular old clothes and craft stuff I have around the house and create something wonderful for the kids to wear. Beautiful and I are working on a mermaid costume for the baby . . . because it's essential that a 4 week old baby has just the right costume . . .