Thursday, September 4, 2008

Turns out Kris Jenner is NOT the world's worst mother . . . I am.

Tonight a very sweet group of women threw my daughter a baby shower.

Invitations came a couple weeks ago. I marked the date and time on my calendar. I purchased and wrapped the perfect gift for my granddaughter. I even planned what I was going to wear.

And then I forgot about the shower. Forgot, that is, until my daughter mentioned it a couple days ago. I tried to act like I wasn't a horrible mother and hadn't really forgotten about her special event . . . but she knows me too well. Busted.

So, you'd think once would be enough, right? Like I'd make damn sure not to let that detail slip from my consciousness again, right?

Today at work I bumped into the mentally handicapped daughter of family friends. Her face brightened up when she saw me and she exclaimed, "I'm going to the shower tonight!"

I swear, my reaction was only the tiniest bit delayed . . . while I processed what kind of shower it might be . . . and who it might be for . . .

It's a good thing the retarded girl reminded me about my daughter's party.

Kris Jenner's got nuthin' on me . . .

8 comments:

jenontheedge said...

I'd say Kris Jenner has a few dozen more shortcomings as a mother than you. You're just preoccupied with the imminent arrival of a VIP (Very Important Princess).

Amy said...

Story isn't over til we hear you actually went.

xoxo, SG

Anonymous said...

even if you're one of the worst mothers you'll be a good grammy so that makes up for it right? and the gifts you got lily were so cute! i can't decide which thing you got me was my favorite ;)

countrymouse said...

aww, Jen, *love* your version of VIP! Someone at the shower gave the baby a present with a card that read "to her royal cuteness" : )

Yes, Amy, I went and was even on time! (well . . . more or less . . . ) And judging by the comment Beautiful left (she's anon right below your comment) I did okay in the 'buying her love' department : )

countrymouse said...

p.s. Beautiful? "I can't decide which thing you got *me* wwas my favorite"? I didn't get *anything* for you--they're for Lily : )

Anonymous said...

well she's not here yet so in the meantime they must be for me!

Geggie said...

You are SOO much better than Kris Jenner. She's a nutbag.

Jan said...

I've had those moments, but I didn't get busted. Thank God. Hope the shower was great.