Sunday, September 21, 2008

easy as pie

Yesterday, my still pregnant daughter was craving apple pie. Our friend, Randy, had brought us apples from Lake Chelan, so pie baking seemed like the only sensible way to spend the day.

We started at about 11 in the morning. Well, she arrived at my house at about 11 in the morning. And then I did some laundry and swept the floor and cleaned up in the living room a bit . . .

And then we went to the kitchen to start with the pie. But I don't use shortening and all my cookbooks are old school and only have pie crust recipes using shortening. I needed to look up butter pie crust recipes online.

But as long as we were online . . .

An hour and a half later, after we myspaced each other (even though we were in the same room) and went bananas over the cutest baby shoes ever, we remembered to look up butter pie crusts.

I printed a simple one and went back into the kitchen to begin.

But when I read the directions, I noticed that the dough had to rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before rolling it out. Which I sort of knew when I started thinking butter crust instead of shortening, but it hadn't quite sunk in yet.

Two hours was too long to wait.

We needed pre-made pie crust.

We called the little family-owned convenience store that's a couple hundred yards from our house but they were out. We had to drive the 3 miles into town. And as long as we were on the way to town, Beautiful had a craving for fish n' chips so we figured we might as well stop for lunch at the waterfront seafood restaurant.

We finally made it to the grocery store for the pie crust, but when we entered there was a distracting display of gingerbread Halloween house kits. Since most of my attention lately has been focused on Beautiful and the baby she claims to be carrying (but which shows no sign of entering the world) Youngest has been a little left out. What better way to rectify that problem than to buy his love?

We came home and gave Youngest the kit. He happily began work on it right away while Beautiful and I, tired from all the shopping and eating and what were we doing in the first place? watched an episode of "Platinum Weddings" because you never know . . . she and Dan might get married someday . . . and Hubby and I might win the lottery . . . and one should never go into a potential over-the-top wedding situation unprepared . . .

Ummmm . . . eventually--at 4pm--we made a pie. And it was one damn good pie! Mostly because I used freshly ground nutmeg . . . which I was so proud of because I finally broke down and bought myself a microplane specifically so I can make kickass apple pies with freshly ground nutmeg.

During the impressive grating of the nutmeg, I commented to Beautiful on my mastery of the technique. She said, "Oh, is that nutmeg? I've always wondered what nutmeg looks like."

I showed her the seed and remarked that it kinda looks like a testicle. Well, perhaps a mummified testicle.

Henceforth, she will always think of my kickass apple pie as Mummy Testicle Pie. And will have no appetite for it . . .

More for me : )

mmmmmmmmm

7 comments:

jenontheedge said...

Maybe her burst of energy yesterday was the Big One before labor starts?

Take her on a good walk today, just in case!

Jan said...

Good planning on the apple pie aversion therapy. Too funny. This is a great post to read. Good luck to Beautiful, on the delivery.

ShallowGal said...

Where the $#*@ is that baby already?

xoxo, SG

Tink said...

Those ARE the cutest baby shoes ever for sure!
Can't wait to see the feet such cute shoes will house.

Storybook Woods said...

WHY didn't you call me ????? (I could have sooo saved you) Well I am not even sure what to say about the nutmeg ;-) xoxox Clarice

Whitenoise said...

testicle? (looking down to make sure I haven't lost one of mine...)

Mary said...

Mummy Testicle Pie?

Sounds like a dish for the man eater in all of us. :)

Baby needs to seriously get a move on. We're all desperate to see her!

Of course, we're all desperate for a kickass apple pie now as well.