Sunday, August 3, 2008

mostly okay with a side of worried

So, the best part about being in the ER from 9:30 pm until 2:45 am with 7-1/2 months pregnant daughter suffering from severe and unexplained chest pain? Both the nurse and the radiologist were genuinely surprised to learn that I am Beautiful's mother and not her sister. Seriously. They weren't even sucking up. Good times!



Oh, and Beautiful? She's still in terrible pain. Unexplained terrible pain. But the baby is fine. Doctors? Sometimes they suck. Like the ER doc who, once convinced Beautiful doesn't have blood clots or any heart or lung issues, couldn't be bothered to answer other questions and left us with a diagnosis of "Pain due to inflammation." Inflammation of what, you ask? Yeah. I would have asked that too if the man hadn't sprinted out of the room never to be seen again.



Oh, and the bitchy after hours nurse at the OBGYN clinic who told Beautiful that the severe chest pain wasn't pregnancy related and therefore wasn't their problem and that Beautiful needed to see a GP? And the GP's office who refused to see Beautiful on the grounds that it was specifically a pregnancy related problem and she should see her OBGYN? Bastards. All of them.



Things I have learned which I pretty much knew already but had a refresher course in:


  • You either need an advocate or have to be in tune enough to be your own advocate when dealing with anything medical or insurance related. Which can be difficult when you're in horrifying pain and scared about your baby's well-being.

  • Mary can be counted upon between the hours of 9:30 pm and 2:45 am to do some googling and get some solid information when the ER doc is a dick. (Oops, sorry Beautiful, I know you don't want to hear your mother speaking that way. Don't read that sentence : )

  • Beautiful's boyfriend? This boy moved Heaven and Earth to leave work and be by her side during the hospital night. And really? That's what a mom wants to know about the guy who has gotten her young daughter pregnant. That he's going to be a stand-up guy and take care of her. Which I already knew, but seeing it in action made me feel all warm and fuzzy. And the fact that he wants their daughter's middle name to be Kristin? Also doesn't hurt my feelings : )

  • Having no computer for OVER A WEEK and not being able to read e-mail or stay in touch with blogging buddies? SUCKS. A lot.

I'll be in touch. Eventually.

grrrrrrrrr

11 comments:

ajooja said...

You poor thing. I hope she's OK.

Hospitals suck. My daughter had all kinds of medical problems her senior year. Miserable.

jenontheedge said...

Oooh ... scary. I'm so sorry, but am glad the baby is okay.

Storybook Woods said...

Oh no, I am so sorry. Please let us know how she is doing. Love Clarice

Tink said...

Girl I can rant a million miles with you on this topic...makes me want to kick some medical people in the tits, yeah thats my new phrase these days and it is not gender specific at all! :)
Asking God that He overcome the stupid medical people road blocks and unveil the pain issue. Muah.

Jan said...

Keep us posted. Yes, we do need to be our own advocates, sadly.

countrymouse said...

thank you for the support, guys--much, much, much appreciated! i'll update as i know more. and when my computer is fixed. and when i'm not using a library computer whose shift key sticks so i can't capitalize . . .

asthmagirl said...

I hope everything is okay. I'll be tuning in for updates.

I can confirm your opinion of GPs and OBGYNs. When I was in a car accident at 7 months, no one would touch me. I found one doctor and he was almost worse than no doctor. Long story~

Take care!

Whitenoise said...

Wow, I hope everything is okay! Both of you must be getting rather nervous as the big day approaches...

sevnetus said...

Congratulatins on all the new life you've helped to bring about. That's a lot of responsibility you have handled. Me I'm still taking care of myself so no one else will have to.

Becca said...

Okay, I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping for an update on Beautiful and The Baby's well being?

And seriously? Is the rumor I heard that Beautiful's due date got moved to my birthday true? ^_^

Kuckie said...

Kristin...sorry to hear about Beautful's unexplained pain! Hope she is feeling better now...