Saturday, July 12, 2008

y'all have Captain Whitenoise to thank for this : )

On with the boringosity! Captain Whitenoise suggested I prove up on my claim that I live in a beautiful area of the world. So the following tedium is his responsibility. E-mail him with your complaints ; )

First of all, here is a close-up look at the wonderful little city of Victoria (I did not take this photo)








And this is another view of the same city. From my side of the border. High atop Hurricane Ridge. (Victoria is the hazy little city across the water. You see it, right?)




We did a little hike on my day off this week. Well, we were led to believe it was a "little" hike. Only 3 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 750 feet. Hubby is quite sure that it was more like 4.5 to 5 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 3,000,000 feet. Approximately.

But it was so worth it.

To wit:


Olympic Mountain Peaks


Across the straits, Mt. Baker of the Cascade range

I know it's only water--but it's unceasingly beautiful, isn't it?



Butterflies? Do not like to hold still to have their pictures taken. Bastards.

Neither do chipmunks. In fact, the way they scurry and dart and continually search and get easily distracted? It's like they're smoking crack. I'm just sayin'.




Bambi patiently waited for me to take my little picture and leave him alone.



So did he.



And so did she : )

Everything was in bloom and the smell was refreshing and heavenly!

Avalanche Lily. I think . . .





Thistle




A red flower of some sort. Accompanied beautifully by lupine.



It was a day to give thanks just for being alive.



6 comments:

Mary said...

It looks like you're having fun with the new camera. Great photos! I really love that last one.

Whitenoise said...

Very nice. :-)

Don't forget all those historic old buildings downtown where they raised the ground level to put the original street entrances underground. (I don't know why I don't have photos of that. Maybe I wasn't carrying a camera in those days...)

Amy said...

Excellent job with the new camera. And I agree, chipmunks are shifty. Don't trust them at all.

xoxo SG

countrymouse said...

Mary, the last one is my favorite too : )

Geez, Whitenoise--you can't be happy with these photos? You want more? : )

Also, Amy? Becca posted about raccoons. Add those little varmints to the list of Animals Which Are Not To Be Trusted!

Jan said...

I for one, love what you're doing with your new camera. You jumped right in there. Great.

Miss Got Wings said...

how beautfiful! no wonder you're so witty - you've got a lot of inspiration around you :)

great pics too - I see you're taking well to that new camera.