Thursday, May 22, 2008

Need some advice from y'all

I gots money burnin' a hole in my pocket!

Well, it's not actually in my pocket yet, but soon . . .

Hubby is Mr. Responsible and Mr. Grown Up and Mr. Do Things By The Book (read that Mr. Non Adventurous and Mr. Not Interested In Getting In Over His Head and Mr. Not Live On A Whim) and wants to save our Economic Stimulus money until October to use for our second half property taxes.

Me? What do I have to say about that sensible plan?

BORING!!!!

Okay, Okay. He's right. I know that. But for goodness sake, let's stimulate that economy!

Is it wrong to want to set a little aside and spend it on something I can't live without? I think not!

I'm in the market for a new digital camera. We'll have a new grandbaby to photograph after all! I don't want a simple "point and shoot" style camera--I already have one of those and haven't been happy with it. I'm looking for a much higher quality photograph.

I've been looking at higher end models, but there's no way on God's green Earth that I'm spending $5k on a camera. If I had $5k to blow, I'd leave my family behind and spend a month on a tropical island drinking fruity umbrella concoctions and having Jorge the pool boy rub oil all over me. And maybe suntan lotion too . . .

But I have swerved . . .

So I'm asking all of you for your opinions/advice/good-bad-ugly camera thoughts. I've admired so many of your photos. In fact, now that I really think about it, I'm struck by how many of you are serious about your photography. I'm totally asking the right group of people for their input : )

Thanks!

(WARNING: Giving me any sort of camera advice surely means I will, in the end, post nothing but baby pictures. Proceed at your own risk!)

8 comments:

ajooja said...

I sent my money to one of the credit card companies that decided to start bending me over because of the stupid economy.

Sadly, I'd need another zero at the end of that check to take care of the rest of those assholes.

On to your problem, I don't know anything about cameras anymore. Things have changed and I lost the love when my job required lots of camera work.

Jan said...

My best camera advise is to hop over to Lisa's and click on My Cameras on her left sidebar. http://lisaschaos.blog-city.com/

She has lots of great cameras and knows her stuff.

jenontheedge said...

The very best thing you can do with that money is send it to me. I'll take very good care of it.

countrymouse said...

Ajooja, do you ever want to write a special little message to the big ole card company on the memo line of the check? I'd love to : ) Until I remind myself that it isn't their fault I owe them in the first place . . .

Thanks, Jan, I'll check that out. Also I wrote down the camera that you use when I asked about it a couple months ago. I have especially loved the quality of the up close nature pictures you achieve.

Jen--you are just the most generous person to want to help me out like that! I'll keep your offer in mind : )

Jess B said...

I have a Canon S2IS and I love it. They are making an S3IS now that is the same thing...with a few tweeks to make it better. It's less than $500 with some manual features that are awesome. Check out my blog for pictures I've taken with it....(also in the sidebar over there is a link to my photography blog that there are more pictures on)

Can't wait to see the baby pictures!!

Optimist said...

I have a Nikon D-50. Got it from Abe's of Maine. Flat out love it. I like my current lens - a 28- 110 zoom. Great for portraits and panoramas...

xoxo

Whitenoise said...

Digital Rebel XT, here. Paid $1150+tax 3 years ago when it first came out, now the same camera's about $500. And- that's the problem with going big- something better and cheaper always comes along.

My advice- unless you're planning on taking courses and getting really serious about a new hobby- buy yourself a $200 pocket camera. They'll do what you want. Put the rest of the money into an investment, you'll thank yourself later.

Deb said...

I bought my daughter the Canon Rebel XT at Christmas and she LOVES it...really great pics and easy to use. Although it retails for about $600-$700, I picked it up for $399 on sale. And I just bought her a zoom lens for it ($380).