Monday, May 12, 2008

In Which I Name My Granddaughter

Mother's Day! Did y'all have a good one? Me too! In fact, mine was surprisingly great, considering I had to work.

Number One Son made a lovely breakfast; my whole family stopped by the pharmacy to say hello and bring me flowers; my lovely daughter and her boyfriend not only brought flowers, but they also brought me chocolate--good chocolate! They are so in the will : )

And the capper to the day was that Pharmacist Greg, in honor of memememememeit'sallaboutme, made us lunch and strawberry shortcake for dessert. Does it get better than that? I think not!

The shortcake was nothing less than divine. Greg purchased shortcake that's made by a small local company called Little Rae's Bakery. They use all-natural ingredients so their products don't have that store bought taste or consistency.

One of my favorites from this little company is their ginger cookies--all moist and flavorful--and they're called Ginger Twinkle. Isn't that a delightful name? In fact, darling daughter--if you're reading this . . . and you should be . . . because, you know, it's all supportive of you to humor me in my silly hobby--don't you think Ginger Twinkle would be a perfect name for your baby girl?

Think it over. Talk to Dan about it. Get back to me.

On second thought, name her whatever you like, I'll just call her Ginger Twinkle anyway. And when she's old enough to wonder, she'll ask you, "Mama, why does Grammy call me Ginger Twinkle? Doesn't she know that's not my name?" And you'll answer, "Because Grammy is a crazy lady." And your sweet little one will ponder for a moment. She'll remember all the "eccentric" times she and her Grammy have had together. Then she'll look up at you and say in a knowing voice, "Ohhhhh. I get it."

But if you end up having a boy . . . hmmmm . . . how about . . . Ginger Twinkle?

Too gay?

Anyone?

13 comments:

jenontheedge said...

Naming a boy Ginger Twinkle guarantees he'll perform in a drag show in Vegas later in life. ;-)

ajooja said...

Almost everyone I know gets some kind of nickname from me. It's usually longer than their real name too. :)

Amy said...

I love the name ginger twinkie. But then again, we came this close to naming Noa (wait for it) "Baby Burl Ives" xoxo, SG

Kuckie said...

Ginger Twinkle exudes sweetness for sure...but what if she decides to be a supreme court justice? LOL...wouldn't that be something!
P.S. My daughter wanted to name Noah "Eyeball"...I STILL don't know what to think about that one. I have friends that refer to him as Eyeball still to this day...

countrymouse said...

Omigosh--I was *totally* going to award Jen the prize for the funniest comment (a contest which I didn't know I was running . . . until I read Jen's comment . . . )

And then Ajooja cracked me up. I *love* the nickname-that's-longer-than-the-real-name principle ; )

And THEN Amy came along and now I totally have a 3 way tie!

Wanna know what the prize is? Tickets to the Vegas debut of my future grandson "Ginger Twinkle's" drag show!

[And right now the baby daddy's head is EXPLODING. My work here is done : ) ]

countrymouse said...

Dang--and I thought it was only a 3 way tie! Kuckie--you must have written your comment while I was writing mine! Tickets also for you--because both Eyeball and Supreme Court Justice Twinkle tickled my funny bone : )

Anonymous said...

so.....

you know how dan is all wonderful and supportive of me right? i would like that to continue and somehow i think if i ask to call our daughter ginger twinkle he might realize that not only am i crazy from time to time but that you're crazy all the time and after all i am just a younger version of you and when he finaly figures this out (you'd think he would have come to this conclusion sooner) he may decide that i'll be too much crazy for him.

don't even get me started on if we have a boy. dan will not have gay children, at least not a gay boy. although at the rate he's going with things he has bought and wants to do with our daughter i'll be lucky if i can get her into a dress or to play with dolls. if he makes her butch i'm so going to call his son twinkle ginger :)

p.s. don't judge me on my poor writing/spelling/run on sentace skills. i'm soooo tired, i didn't sleep well again.

Whitenoise said...

Ginger or Maryanne...Ginger or Maryanne... no wonder the men never wanted to get off that island...

countrymouse said...

Know what's weird, Beautiful? When the two of you came to see me on Sunday--I did or said something that was typically me and Dan made a comment about it and you said, "You know Dan, Mom and I are the same person--just 20 years apart." It suddenly hit me--I'm only 20 years older than you! In the grand scheme of things, 20 years isn't all that much difference . . .

Oh--sorry, Captain, you're disqualified from the contest. While the comment itself was funny and quite clever, it ended up rubbing me wrong for its inherent chauvinism. Bzzzt--you lose. But thanks for playing : )

Anonymous said...

the proper anser to his question is Ginger of course! she's a red head and everyone loves those. she was a red head right? i'm guessing by the name that she was. i don't think i've ever seen that show. well, this probably just ended up making me look really stupid but now i really want to know if ginger in fact has red hair.

countrymouse said...

Ginger? GINGER? Ginger was a ho.

Maryanne--the cute, petite, wholesome brunette. What's not to love about her?

Ginger indeed . . . .

See what you started, Captain? Now I'm arguing with my daughter about Ginger vs. Maryanne. What good can come out of this? : )

Whitenoise said...

Glad to be of service. If you wish to wax eloquent about the social significance of Green Acres or Get Smart, I continue to be available...

Anonymous said...

ok, so ginger is a red head. that settles it, she's way hotter than maryanne :) ask any of my friends that are guys :)