Tuesday, April 1, 2008

on a happier note

I'm out of jail on work release . . .

Okay, but seriously, I had a great day and needed to share.

Yesterday was my 6 month evaluation. Well, actually it was supposed to be last Monday but they were doing department-wide evals and mine got pushed back a week. So all that time I spent worrying about it last Monday (and the bad dream I had about it Sunday night) were for naught.

Lucky for me, I forgot to worry about it this week.

Alone in the conference room sitting across the table from each other, my supervisor started. She looked at her sheet of notes and said, "You're awesome!"

Any evaluation that begins with that statement can only end with smiles all around : ) She said many, many, many wonderful things about me. I won't bore you all by providing a verbatim transcript--but don't think I didn't want to ; )

It's silly really. That I should take so much pleasure from this? It's a 24 hour a week job. I'm a glorified cashier. I should be able to do a good enough job to get a glowing report.

But here's why it's so gratifying: Before this job, I hadn't had a paying gig in 16 years. There was stiff competition for this position but even without any recent job experience to point to, they had the instinct that I was cut out for it--based on both skills and personality. And they were right.

I am delighted to prove to myself after all this time that I'm worth something. I know I'm worth something--I don't mean to suggest that being a mom was meaningless--but this is different. Between the activities, the homework, the shuttling around between enrichment lessons, blah, blah, blah, it's easy for moms to disappear. I think I just proved to myself that I can take care of myself. Or I could if I had to : )

I'm happy.

This calls for ice cream!

11 comments:

Kuckie said...

Yay for you, Kristin...and yippee for ice cream! What kind did you have?

jenontheedge said...

You ARE awesome! Congrats on a having such a great review!

Storybook Woods said...

Well we all know you are awesome !!! Akkk I can not believe it has been 6 months. When did that happen. I am so proud of you. Sorry by the way for putting on the spot yesterday. I am glad I did not affect you getting a bad review. Love Clarice

Jan said...

After visiting Dr. Buttface you really did need some ice cream; but after the Walking On Water review, how about a Hot Fudge Sundae?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the evaluation!

And is there any ice cream left over for tonight to share with me? :)

Influencebad said...

Aww, congratulations!!! People end up spending so much of their time at work that it feels wonderful to be really appreciated there. =)

Mary said...

Congratulations, Kristin! What terrific news!

Rick said...

Congrats! I am glad you are so happy! Nice job!

Simon Sterwin said...

Well done!

Re the celebrations, I like and recommend pistachio flavored ice-cream. Though why it is green I don't know, given that green pistachio nuts are under-ripe and best avoided.

As it is only my second visit to your (very fine) blog, I will refrain from clogging your comment space with excessively verbose ponderings on this deep mystery...
:)

Angie said...

Hey, you're good enough, smart enough and doggone-it, people like you! They really, really like you!

You *are* all the wonderful things your supervisor said and more, Kristin. I'm glad other people know it besides your friends! (We just don't pay very well!)

See you soon-
Angie

countrymouse said...

I was thinking along the same lines as Jan--only banana splits instead of hot fudge sundaes because the banana makes it all healthy and natural. Right? Anyone???

Y'all are too kind! No worries, Clarice--ask us anything because that's what we're there for.

No worries about clogging the comments, Simon : ) I started to read your latest post earlier today but was much interrupted . . . Will finish that soon.

Ha ha, Angie, *they* don't pay very well either ; ) Thanks for the daily affirmation!