Monday, March 3, 2008

beautiful Spring

My friend Angie, whose blog is Island Hearth & Handcrafts, is a doll maker. I've known her for 7 or 8 years now and have had the privilege of watching her evolve from crafter to artist. And I don't think it's a stretch to use the word artist.

She makes dolls in a variety of mediums--carved wood to sculpted wool. And they're all extraordinary. And compelling. And it's the oddest thing to sit in her living room chatting about kids and movies and politics and food and all the while her hands are busy and at the end of this every day activity she has created magic.

Where she truly shines is in crafting faces. Her dolls have always had personality, but the more adept she becomes at mastering the subtleties that make a visage human, the more each carefully revealed face has not just personality but life.

I could write ten thousand words, but the photo of her latest creation should speak for itself. Come, be awed with me--here is Spring. Doesn't her lovely expression hold such secrets!





Update: I forgot to mention that lovely Spring is anatomically correct beneath the flowery dress! She's just beautifully proportioned. And no overly trimmed landing strip for her! This girl has a good old fashioned delta going on : )




5 comments:

ajooja said...

Wow! That's amazing.

Storybook Woods said...

I have such amazing friends xoxoxox Clarice

Whitenoise said...

cool ;-)

countrymouse said...

I know, guys, right? I'm so happy that even you menfolk appreciate this artwork : )

We do have amazing friends, don't we, Clarice?

Angie said...

Omigod. I came to your blog tonight hoping to see a new post that would make me laugh my ass off..and I did. (except for Beautiful-poor girl!) and here I see photos of my very own doll- naked and everything! Thanks for your kind words. But geez, I never truly considered before now all of the pubic hair choices available to me....A landing strip would have been great..Oh, and I should have given her some hair in her pits to go along with the delta. (More earthy/European that way). Or a tramp stamp. Maybe next time.
Love, Angie