Saturday, February 9, 2008

connections

An emotional morning at home. An exhausting day at work. And Mister knows me well enough to know when I need to be taken care of.

During my drive home from work he calls my cell. "How are you?" he asks.

"I just want to go to sleep. For a week." I wearily reply.

"I'm making you breakfast for dinner" he says. And my eyes tear up just a little. This man loves me.

When I was a little girl, it was a special treat when my dad made dinner. Special because his specialty was breakfast for dinner. Pancakes, sausages, eggs, orange juice. It was all warm and rosy with Dad in the kitchen and the decadent smells of a big breakfast cooking as the sun went down.

Mister has never quite appreciated my affinity for breakfast dinner. He has never liked it when I try to pass off bacon and pancakes as "dinner." He has no emotional attachment to that menu. And during our almost 23 years he seemed not to understand that I do have an emotional attachment that goes far beyond just the food.

So the gesture of him making this special comfort food for me after a particularly cactusy day was tender and loving and thoughtful.

"And there's something I want you to do, okay?" he sneaks in at the end of the conversation.

I'm too tired. I'm worn completely through and can't imagine lifting a finger to do anything else just now. But for him I comply. "Yes?" I ask.

"I want you to ask for four days off in a row at the end of the month. I'm taking you to Las Vegas for our anniversary."

This man loves me.

10 comments:

Jan said...

TRUE LOVE.

ajooja said...

Awwwww, that's just so sweet.

I love making a big breakfast for my family, especially for dinner. My daughter had one of her friends over once when I did it and I swear she would have married me on the spot :)

Whitenoise said...

Good for you. ;-)

Viva. Viva, baby!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Awwwwwww. How sweet.

I hope your weekend is better.

Angie said...

Oh, that Mister....Isn't he the best? You know he is...
Now I want you to remember this the next time he pisses you off, okay?
Love, Angie

countrymouse said...

Yes, Jan, it is : )

See, right there, Ajooja--you just proved my point about the power of a man cooking a breakfast meal ; )

I hope to have some fun pictures to post, Captain 'Noise. On the other hand, what happens in Vegas may just have to stay in Vegas . . .

Thanks, Jen : )

Of course you're right, Angie. Remind me of it the next time he drags another pile of junk "investment" car into the yard!

Rick said...

Nice! I hope my wife doesn't read this.

MissGotWings said...

yeah Kristin! that's so sweet of him.

I went to make breakfast dinner for hubby and me a few weeks ago. He looked at me like I had three heads. We're newlyweds and I guess he had never had it before. Glad I'm not the only one.

Geggie said...

Whoa! Have a great time! Let me know if you want any recs for meals or stuff to do.

countrymouse said...

Geggie--I would *love* to have your recommedations! I couldn't find your e-mail address on your blog, so here's mine: alidancy@hotmail.com

Thanks!