Sunday, February 17, 2008

blogiversary

Today is my one year blogiversary.

When I started this blog last year I was in a horrible place. I was watching my daughter give her very self to a person who was not worthy. I could see the handwriting on the wall and it was terrifying. In my original profile I stated that my hobby was lying on the couch sobbing 18 hours a day. And that really wasn't too far from the truth.

Not only was I a mess from watching the coming train wreck in my daughter's future, but I think I was beginning to feel useless. Number One Son has really come into his own during the last couple years away at university. And Beautiful was making it clear to me that though she wasn't making the decisions I wanted her to make, they were her decisions--and her mistakes--to make. No matter how much I loved these kids and saw myself continuing on as their mother just like I've always been, I felt the shift. Or maybe I felt the sand shifting beneath my feet. I was being downsized . . .

The changes that have developed over 365 days are nothing short of miraculous. Just as my friends Mary and Mr. Pid reassured me again and again and again, Beautiful finally did the math and broke off the life-sucking relationship. Her circumstances aren't picture perfect now, but she's come a long, long way. And may I indulge in a hallelujah!!!

My dream of massage school has been indefinitely postponed, but that's life and things will somehow work out. Working at a paying job for the first time in over 15 years has proven beneficial for all of us, though I do miss my time with Youngest. I miss homeschooling. I miss being home . . . Then again, Mister is an excellent housewife and takes good care of me : )

This is a fine little community. You all have been incredibly supportive. Writing goofy narratives, sharing about my family, complaining about everything has been liberating in its own way too. Thank you for sharing in the silliness, in the sadness, in the selfishness and the happiness. Y'all are great. Let's get together for drinks : )


13 comments:

Mary said...

A very hearty congratulations to you on your blogiversary! I'm thrilled you're online and writing such wonderful stuff for us.

ajooja said...

I can't believe it's only been one year! I feel like you've been my bloggy friend a lot longer than that.

Either way, congratulations. I like reading blogs of people who share the same problems, dreams, ideals, etc...

I'm definitely with you on several things, so I'll be here as long as you are.

Big, platonic hugs!!

Storybook Woods said...

Oh it has been quite a year for you !!! I know you do not feel this way. but I think you handled it brilliantly. Just think what the next year will bring. Love Clarice

MissGotWings said...

Happy Blogiversary Kristin! I love checkin in everday. You always find a way to make us laugh :) Glad you've stuck with it! Keep up the great work.

ps - drinks would certainly be nice, wouldn't they?

Mama Drama Jenny, the Bloggess said...

Happy blogoversary!

(And hallelujia!)

Did I spell that right?

Whitenoise said...

Yeah, what the naked guy said...

Here's to many more, Mouse. ;-)

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Happy blogerversary! I'm glad things are better than they were last year.

Rick said...

Happy Anniversary it has been a delight chatting with you!

Geggie said...

No way! Really a year? Where does the time go?

countrymouse said...

Awwww, thanks peeps : )

Mary, thank you for getting me started. What a great outlet!

Ajooja, platonic hugs right back atchya! I will continue to steal memes from you as long as we're both here ; )

Clarice--your version of what I'm like is so much better than my version!

Glad to make you laugh, Kate!

jenny, I don't know (and don't care) if you spelled it right--I'm just tickled that you visited : )

And thanks for the nice vibes Captain 'Noise, Jennifer, Rick and Geggie : )

(this sounds a lot like an acceptance speech--stop me before I start thanking God and the academy . . . )

Geggie said...

Are you packed for Vegas yet?

countrymouse said...

Packed and headed to bed! eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
: )

Kuckie said...

Happy Anniversary, Countrymouse...and so happy to have found your blog! I can always count on you for a good daily laugh! Don't know what I'd do without my daily visit to Country Mouse Comes Unhinged!!

Hugs to ya, girl!