Friday, January 25, 2008

Taking on running at 40

I've never been much of a runner. Exercise induced asthma as a kid (while having zero effect on my gymnastics career) kept me from running activities. Not without joy either--any excuse to get out of lame ass P.E. activities in junior high.

Sometime during my adulthood I guess I grew out of the asthma thing as it relates to exercise. Leaving me no excuse.

My sacred devotion to walking just isn't doing it for me like it used to. Kick boxing, while being one of the most enjoyable forms of aerobic exercise I have ever experienced, is no longer an option. Instructor Dave seems to have been fired, the gym management is disorganized and the owner is so arrogant it makes you wanna roundhouse kick him in the groin. Best that I don't attend those classes any more . . .

So I turned to running. When I first started, I felt silly. And jiggly. I commented to my daughter that running made me feel like I needed a sports bra. For my buttcheeks. Now, every time she sees me putting on my running shoes, she breaks into a fit of laughter with that visual in her head. Thanks for the support, sweetie!

Oh--and there's also that damn hula hoop . . .

I ended up buying this one--specifically meant for adults:



(Hottie not included . . . ) See all those metallic looking protrusions on the inside of the hoop? WTF are they for????? I am convinced my hoop was based on the original design sketches from this classic 18th century hoop:





Trust me, no one would dare use my modern day contrivance without sufficient protection from the evil nubbins. Here's my favored method of defense against the "hula hoop" that could surely pass for a barbaric rite of passage device:





(Hottie still not included . . . )

Between you and me? Hoopin' ain't all it's cracked up to be. Once I've got the hoop going, it's relatively easy to stay in the groove with minimal effort. I always feel it in my abs the next day, but I think the sensation I feel is the bruising from the torture spikes--not the fantastic workout.

I'm pretty sure that hooping would be a fabulous aerobic endeavor for mere mortals. But for me--former 3rd grade hula hooping champion--a cakewalk.

I guess my buttcheeks and I will stick with the running . . .

7 comments:

Whitenoise said...

Wow, that middle picture is downright sadistic...

Maddy said...

Off topic I know, but people always ask me if I'm a runner [ I am allergic to exercise in any form] but you saying that you STARTED running at 40 makes me wonder if maybe I might / ought to give it a try.

How long did it take before it was no longer agony?
Cheers

countrymouse said...

Yeah, Captain 'Noise, it's called the 'breaking wheel' (name pretty much says it all) and came off the cart and into the dungeon as a torture device back in good ole' ancient Greece. Use continued at least until the 18th century. Scary what humans will do to each other . . .

Hey Maddy! How long did it take before it was no longer agony? I'll get back to you on that . . . Okay, but seriously--I started off *very slowly*. I alternated walking with jogging and only did about a mile. At first it was indeed agony, but each time I went out I found it easier to do the running and I could go for longer distances. Not all that bad after all. Then again, I am blessed with good joints so I'm not feeling it in my knees, etc. Invest in good running shoes!!! Good luck : )

countrymouse said...

Oh,and one more thing, Maddy--warm up really well first (get all those large muscle groups going) and then *stretch* to avoid injury (like those darn shin splints.)

ajooja said...

There is a great story about an ultra-marathoner who did the same. He started out of the blue and now he's kind of a big deal in the running world. (Too lazy to Google.)

I wrote a story about how runners are different people and one of them took it upon himself to turn me into one of them.

It worked for about a year. I ran at least a little bit everyday. I lost 50 pounds. I ran a marathon.

Got an injury. Quit running. Got fat again. Same ol' shit.

I've tried to get going again, but it's difficult (for me) without a training partner.

countrymouse said...

Lost 50 pounds and ran a marathon???? Wow! I am in awe : )

Too bad about the injury. What kind of injury was it?

MissGotWings said...

moved my site. visit me here:

http://missgotwings.blogspot.com/