Monday, December 17, 2007

Which "Breakfast Club" character are you?

I am reminded of this every so often. A lyric from a song on the radio as I drove home tonight led to an idea which led to another which led to a line from a movie. And an inconvenient thought that I choose to bury as much as I can.

I love the movie The Breakfast Club. I think John Hughes got many things about high school life, personalities, insecurities and stereotypes just right. Just exactly right. Sure, there are a few imperfections in the movie, a few cliche moments. But for the most part, just exactly right.

I am "Andrew", the Emilio Estevez character. I can't think for myself. Or I just don't think for myself. Not sure which of those is closer to the truth. There are moments; bright spots along the way. But for the most part . . .

One of my favorite lines is at the very end of the film. The 5 kids recognize that they're all pigeonholed, but they know themselves better. It's the kids who know themselves better that I now understand are the enlightened ones among us. Wish I had seen that back then . . .

From the voice over:

"You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain... and an athlete... and a basket case... a princess... and a criminal... "

Which Breakfast Club character are you?

7 comments:

Whitenoise said...

I really didn't identify with any of them... maybe I need to watch the movie again.

don't you...forget about me...

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Brain -- geekiness and all.

Kate said...

hmmm . . . some days the dorky blonde guy. some days the crazy girl with the sandwich full of corn flakes. some days the priss with the sushi. hardly ever the jock. harldy ever the angry reject w/ dad issues. Good topic. Got me to thinkin!

CheekierMeSly said...

Part brain, part basket case.

Mary said...

I love that film too. Always have.

Like Whitenoise, I've never really identified completely with any one of the characters. I will tell you this though. A young, edgy Judd Nelson can have my diamond earring any day of the week.

Never have gotten over my love of the bad boys . . .

countrymouse said...

WN, I just love that song. Brings back good memories, and sad, painful ones too . . . *sniff*

Jennifer, the 'brain' character delivers one of my other favorite lines in the movie. It's not what he says, but how he says it. The "Clair, you're so conceited" line.

Kate and Cheek--I completely agree that most of us can identify with more than one character. Depending on the day, the moment, the company around us . . .

Mary, Mary, Mary--you do still have that bad boy crush thing goin' on, don't you? ; )

Marika said...

Well written article.