Friday, November 2, 2007

an unsuck moment

So, I homeschooled my kids. Have I ever mentioned that? A few kazillion times? Yes?

Some days it’s great to be a mom. Other days it just sucks. Many days I wonder if the way we have raised our kids (including, but not limited to, the homeschooling) has been beneficial or detrimental to their development as human beings.

Today, Number One Son gave me one of those extraordinary gifts that comes unexpectedly and radiates with beauty. Out of the blue, for no apparent reason whatsoever, he sent me this lovely e-mail, confirming that I didn’t completely f*ck up everything:

"Hello Mom,

. . . I was thinking the other day about the time we did algebra 1 in a week. I know it wasn't fun for me, and I am sure it wasn't to much fun for you either. But if you hadn't helped me to do that I probably couldn't have taken algebra 2 from Dr. H. Without that I seriously doubt that I could have gone to school as an engineer, at least initially. I just wouldn't have been able to get in, and there is not really the right type of calculus prep classes at the university level to help out. So thank you. It's unfortunate Spelling in a week wasn't quite as successful for me. Of course for me, spelling in a year would still be insufficient.

Hope you have a nice week.

Love,
Number One"

I wish I could wear this letter. Well, first I would correct the spelling and punctuation and maybe take a stab at a little formatting . . . but after that, it’s perfect. Happy early Mother’s Day to me : )



3 comments:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

That is so great. Who says you can't wear it around? Frame it, hang it on a ribbon around your neck. It will be the new style: Love notes from our kids.

Storybook Woods said...

Well you are a great mama, one of the best I know. By the way, he is looking more and more like you. Clarice

countrymouse said...

I'm thinking more along the lines of a shirt with his letter silk screened onto it : )

Thank you, Clarice--you are way too kind!