Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Yes, Kuckie, this stuff seriously does happen to me . . .

A huge proportion of pharmacy customers are elderly folks. They’re (mostly) friendly and cheerful and they talk to me like I’m one of their grandchildren. They aren’t in a hurry and like to visit and I enjoy them very much. But it’s frequently difficult to understand them.

Sometimes they’re a little mumbly, or their voices have that gravelly, wavering quality that happens with age. Plus, there is a whole lot of background noise from the busy store we’re in.

When they come to the counter to ask for their prescriptions by their last name, it can be hard to decipher what they’ve said. "Anderson" can easily be confused with "Amundson" or "Henderson." So I’ve made a habit of asking the first 2 letters of the last name, "Was that A N?" I ask. That eliminates any confusion.

Problem is, I’m in the habit of doing it with EVERY customer, no matter their age or whether I clearly understood the name.

Yesterday, a woman was picking up a script with the last name of "Furnby." I asked, "Was that F U?"

Now I ask the first 3 letters . . .

6 comments:

Influencebad said...

That is hilarious!! ^_^ Did the woman get upset? I would have died laughing!

Rick said...

You are making this stuff up!

Geggie said...

What about when Mr. Sexton comes to pick up his script?

Jennifer said...

That is too funny!

whitenoise said...

Mouse, mouse, mouse... you are priceless... ;-)

countrymouse said...

It was actually kind of funny, Becca. Realizing what I had just said, I looked at her and could see just a hint of a smile on her face. In one glance, we tacitly agreed to let my blunder go . . .

No, Rick, this was ver batim : )

rotflmao, Geggie! If I ever do get a customer named Sexton I'm going to burst out laughing for no apparent reason . . .