Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Value of a Dollar

Beautiful is learning the for-real costs of being a grown-up. She recently moved out on her own again--rent, groceries, utilities, deposits . . .

And for some time now she has paid her own vehicle and medical insurance costs.

Life is expensive.

She came to the pharmacy to have lunch with me today. She was there for less than an hour. In that small span of time she saw a whole lot of how our operation works--including the location and contents of the safe where the controlled drugs are.

When she left, she had but one request for me: "Hey, Mom, if you ever turn to a life of crime--snag me an asthma inhaler? Refills are just so expensive!"

Now there’s a practical girl!

4 comments:

ajooja said...

Whew! I thought this was going somewhere else. :)

My daughter got back with her husband over the weekend, so I'm kind of floored right now. I can't even write about it. I hate drama.

whitenoise said...

My kids are still in the "I want" "Why can't we buy..." "We should get" phase, with absolutely no idea what dear old dad goes through to earn the money.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I take it she has your sense of humor? ;-)

countrymouse said...

Ajooja, when you mentioned your daughter had left him and moved back in with you, I was wondering if it was going to go back and forth for awhile. Hope you're prepared for several of those before she determines it's really over, or he decides his family is important enough to get dry for . . . For what it's worth : )

Well, WN, if it makes you feel any better, I have a much stronger appreciation for hubby's efforts (though I have always appreciated his hard work--even moreso now) since I'm the one reporting for duty every day. Someday your kids will get it and will respect you in a whole new way : )

Yeah, Jen, it's funny how different she and I are, yet how much we're like identical twins : )