Thursday, October 11, 2007

Inspiration to a Beautiful Life

Beautiful’s soul could not survive without music. She understands and connects with music in an esoteric, unique way. And I have this guy to thank for that:





When my older two kids were little, I listened to rock stations in the car. I was very careful about certain songs ("Cocaine") and a few select artists (particularly metal bands) so as not to overwhelm their immature sensibilities.

There was one song, however, that I really liked from Ozzy Osbourne’s solo period. "Mama I’m Coming Home" was popular when Beautiful was about 4. I liked it so much, I turned it up to hum along with every time it came on.

One day, while listening to my favorite song, I looked into the rearview mirror to say something to my innocent cherub when I noticed her soulfully singing along to the song on the radio. My angelic little sweetheart was pouring her heart into the lyrics of a song by the front man of Black Sabbath. Oh dear God--I felt like the worst mother on the planet!

From that moment in 1992 until sometime in 2006, I never listened to any other than classical music when my children were present.

The kids went on to take piano lessons (studying a mostly classical repertoire,) sang traditional hymns in the church choir, belonged to the local youth symphony, and studied music theory with their homeschool band. Darn if I didn’t make sure all the rock n’ roll from their formative years was brainwashed straight out of their skulls! Even the music Beautiful danced to during her first 10 years of ballet was almost exclusively of the structured, rigid, classical variety.

Thanks to that background, she has facility with the language of music. She understands why it works the way it does. She gets what a composer of any genre is trying to say with their particular arrangement of notes and dynamics. And all this she translates with profundity into her choreography--choreography that reduces grown men and women to tears. And we owe all that to The Prince of Darkness himself. Great.

7 comments:

whitenoise said...

Rock On, little dudette! ;-) (making that hand gesture that means "hang loose" in Hawaii or devils horns to the ozzy kids...)

Geggie said...

See, Ozzy IS useful! That photo is scary though

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Hey, if Ozzy is going to have a profound impact on someone's life, at least it's positive this time.

ajooja said...

That's cool. My kids are both very musical, but I didn't try to censor anything they listened to. Of course, I'm the poster boy for liberal parenting. :)

Rick said...

Does she appreciate John Denver? :)

Influencebad said...

Oh Kristin, that's so funny. ^_^ Gotta love that photo of Ozzy!

Did mom ever tell you about the time (years ago!!) that we caught Susannah singing the Offspring's "Pretty Fly for a White Guy"?

"...give it to me baby! Uh huh, uh huh!"

I thought mom was going to kill me. ^_^

Mary said...

Thanks, Bec. Always nice to have family secrets spilled out in a public forum. ;-)

I actually had forgotten completely about that, even though it was shocking to hear my 3 yr. old spouting Offspring lyrics. What I thought about was the time she very seriously commented on a line from Tom Petty's "You Don't Know How it Feels". Susannah, 4 or 5 at the time, stopped dead after singing the lyric and said, with sadness clearly evident in her voice: "Oh mommy, he must just be so sad."
Me: "Why?"
S: "Because no one gives a damn for him"
(the line is: "There's someone I used to see, but she don't give a damn for me")

*sigh* Oh well, that was it for a bit with Tom Petty. Thank goodness she didn't have a clue what the line from the chorus ("So let's get to the point and roll another joint") meant. All I needed was a 4 or 5 year old demanding "give it to me baby, while I roll another joint, after which I won't give a damn for you".

Yeah, motherhood. Always something to feel guilty about.