Wednesday, October 17, 2007

big news

Yesterday we celebrated a fun milestone:

We have no more teenagers!

Yesterday was Beautiful’s 20th birthday. Number One will be 22 soon and Youngest is still 12. For another 10 months--no teenagers.

It’s not really that big a deal. I enjoyed having teens. I deeply appreciated my relationships with both older kids once they hit 14 or so. The separation portion near the end of the teen years was a bitch. But overall, teens were great.

I’ve mentioned before that Youngest is a young 12. Not matured yet in mind or body. Which is kind of nice since he’s "the baby."

So it just figures that last night while getting ready for bed, he made an important announcement.

He came out of the bathroom and told me, "Hey, Mom--I think I’m hitting puberty!"

Are you asking the same question that Mister and I asked each other? "What was he doing in the bathroom that he suddenly realized the joy of oncoming puberty?"

I calmly asked him, "Oh? How can you tell?"

I know, I know! It was a stupid question! But I was so concerned with keeping a nonchalant exterior that I couldn’t form a coherent (and non-dumbass) question.

"Umm . . . " he hesitated a bit, "Just changes."

"Cool!" I happily replied.

He continued, "And yesterday I noticed my armpits really smelled bad for the first time!"

I gave him a hearty thumbs up on that one. We had a good laugh and discussed deodorant.

My ‘No Teens and Their Attendant Issues’ celebration sure was short lived . . .

5 comments:

Geggie said...

"Big" news, huh? "Big"?

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

That's hilarious. Glad you got the deodorant thing covered.

I can remember the day we celebrated ending four straight years of teething. One week later, the older girl lost her first tooth. So we've shifted our focus to that part of teething, soon to include braces.

Kuckie said...

Only a guy would be impressed by his own stink...I swear... ;0)

whitenoise said...

My big kid is a young 13- still into lego, pokemon, and video games. I don't think he'd know what to do with a girl if one fell into his lap. But, he's now 5'9" and 185lbs... the growth charts predict 6'4" for this kid.

ajooja said...

My 13-year-old son comes up with some doozies. He rarely speaks (to me, at least) so it's usually something pretty profound or hilarious.

He's also very proud of the hair on his balls. He'll show you too! :)