Wednesday, September 5, 2007

self absorption

Yet another "borrowed" item from Blackbird. I just love her blog. She's so darn clever with the everyday things that would, in most other folks' hands, be mundane.

I had a dream a few nights ago that Blackbird died. I was seriously concerned for her three boys. In this dream I asked one of my friends if she thought Blackbird's husband would post on her blog every once in awhile just so we'd all know that their kids were okay.

Do I have dreams about other bloggers? Yes. It's my worrying nature. Although the one about Rick wasn't about worry, it was brought on by his questions regarding his life's direction. I dreamt that he was the helicopter traffic reporter in his city. In order to protect his family, he didn't use his real name. His "radio name" was Rick Springfield.

So, in addition to being insecure and not quite truly agoraphobic and intensely uncomfortable around people, I am also a mother hen. And that is something that seems so anti-me. Because doesn't being a mother hen presume a genuine affinity for people?

On with the pinched goods:

How did you start blogging?

All my friends were doing it . . . Actually, as alluded to in my very first post, I started because I was suffering dire emotional pain and needed a way to get outside of my own worries.


Did you intend to be a blog w/a following? If so, how did you go about it?

Nope. I was a blogging baby. I only knew about a few blogs that belonged to my friends and a few other "famous" blogs. I didn't know regular people could have blog "followings."


What do you hope to achieve or accomplish with your blog? Have you been successful? If not, do you have a plan to achieve those goals?

I hoped to achieve a different frame of mind. I hoped to have a respite from everything horrible happening that I couldn't control. I think writing for the sake of writing was a good way to shift focus.


Has the focus of your blog changed since you started blogging? How?

Hmmmm. I think yes. I think in the beginning I wrote about more subjects. Also, I think I write differently now that I know people are reading. I like my older posts better . . .


What do you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?

I now know that people (a few : ) actually read what I write. There are some subjects I don't explore as fully as I would if this were a private journal. I'm sure some of you are wondering what in all of creation I could feel uncomfortable about fully exploring since I've been in-depthly open about some fairly intimate subjects : )


Do you make money with your blog?

Good heavens no! And I wouldn't want to because:
1) it would become work instead of fun, and
2) I would be terrified of letting people down.


Does your immediate or extended family know about your blog? If so, do they read it? If not, why?

Hubby and kids know about it. They only read occasionally when I purposely show them something. Mister and Number One Son don't read it on their own because this isn't the kind of reading material they normally seek. Beautiful doesn't read regularly because she knows I talk about some subjects she doesn't want to connect with her mother : ) Mom, Dad, Brother and the rest of my family don't really know much about it. And I wouldn't want them to because I'd never be able to be me.


What two pieces of advice would you give to a new blogger?

Write absolutely whatsoever you feel like writing. And don't worry too much about why you're blogging--if you feel compelled to do it, just do it.

5 comments:

blackbird said...

Gosh - I'm leaving on a plane tomorrow...I hope you aren't psychic.

Geggie said...

I dig that Blackbird too! Isn't it funny how we keep our blog worlds separate from the real world?

countrymouse said...

Yikes--sorry 'bout that, Blackbird! Nope. My bad dreams never, ever, ever have anything to do with reality.

Have a fabulous trip! And I am burning with jealousy . . . : )

Rick said...

This is Rick Springfield with the latest drive time report. Traffic is a little slow around I-70 and Rt 41 exchange. The rest of the city is moving along nicely! Have a safe evening!

countrymouse said...

Omigosh, Rick--LOL! See--I knew you'd be good at that job : )