Thursday, August 2, 2007

Talk the Talk

Youngest will be 12 in two weeks. He's a young 12. Not matured in body or mind yet. But he's getting there . . .

My husband and I have always subscribed to the theory that "the facts of life" should be revealed slowly, as the children ask questions and are ready for the information. So you'll forgive me the answer I gave to Youngest when he was 4 and asked what people did to get babies. I gave him the information I knew he was emotionally prepared for at age 4. And nothing more. And it's not because I'm chicken sh*t and didn't want to deal with that conversation. I just don't believe in overwhelming a child with more than what he can handle.

Eight years later, Youngest is in the kitchen making eggs and I'm at the computer:

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"Remember when I was little and I asked how people got babies?"

No, no, no, no, no!!!!! I do NOT want to have the-birds-and-the-bees talk with you!!! NOOOOOOOO!!! And no, I am not chicken sh*t.

"Yes, I remember."

"You told me they prayed?"

Inward chuckling . . . No, I wasn't chicken sh*t when he was 4. He wasn't ready, that's all.

"Yes, I told you that."

"Well, some people don't believe in God . . . "

Loooooooooooooooooooong pause . . .

"Son, are you asking me if there's something else people do besides pray to get babies?"

"Do I want to know?"

And now I'm gently laughing out loud and even he has an amused look on his face.

"Well, Kiddo, by the way you just phrased that question, I'm guessing you're not quite ready?"

"Yeah. Maybe not quite."

"No problem. But when you are ready--ask your dad."

Okay, I'm chicken sh*t.

4 comments:

Storybook Woods said...

Oh my gosh that is sooo sweet. Clarice

ajooja said...

That is very sweet. :)

I've always thought parents should answer questions as honestly as possible, using the real names.

I ended up revealing the big news to both of my kids, but my wife gets most of the follow-up questions.

whitenoise said...

too funny...;-)

Kristin said...

Thanks Clarice and Whitenoise : )

Ajooja--the very reason why the two parent system works so well!