Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Entirely off the subject, but something jogged my memory . . .

I have only been on one blind date in my life. Mutual friends set me up with this guy. They thought we would really hit it off. Looking back, I'm not sure what made them think that because, as I recall, we didn't have all that much in common.

I was supposed to go to his house with my girlfriend so we could meet. He didn't trust the people who set us up and was worried he would get stuck spending the evening with someone ugly and boring. So he left.

His plan was to drive by the house after he knew I had arrived, check me out from the street and then (depending on my relative ugly factor) either go through with it or hide out for the night. How's that for shallow!

He ended up accidentally bumping into us in town where my girlfriend and I were killing time until the appointed hour. I must have looked okay to him because he did show up at the house.

We spent the evening together with our friends and he turned out to be a charming, funny guy. He did ask me out again and I accepted. In fact, we ended up seriously dating for six months.

I still have such tender memories of that romantic time dating him. We date far less now since we've been married for over 20 years. But he is still the same charming and funny guy he was way back when . . .

5 comments:

Mary said...

What a fun story, Kristin! I loved reading it.

whitenoise said...

Congrats on the longevity of your date. ;-)

Rick said...

The only blind date in history to stick. Congrats!

ajooja said...

That's so cool. The only bind date I went on didn't go too well. We had absolutely nothing in common.

I set up two of my friends (who didn't know each other) on a blind date once. That went about as well as my blind date.

BTW, I love "how we met" stories. I'll tell mine next month, the 22nd anniversary.

Kristin said...

I love sharing this story precicely because it's the one blind date I've ever heard of that worked out well : )

Ajooja--I also enjoy 'how we met' stories. Looking forward to reading yours. You were married in the same year we were--we just celebrated 22 in Feb. Hard to believe it's been that long!

Hey Mary, now that I think about it, I don't believe I know how you met your husband.