Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Veneration of Beautiful

My girl, Beautiful, has persevered through a year of difficulty. Difficulty is an understatement. But I don't want to speak for her so I'll leave it at that.

A couple weeks ago, and only after agonizing contemplation, she made a decision that changed everything she thought her life was going to be about. It was the most awful--and the bravest--choice she has ever had to make. And this is a girl who has already in her short life had to make some pretty weighty resolutions.

Since that time two weeks ago, she has been dealing with the fallout from the struggle. And she has handled the entire situation with grace, poise and humility and a willingness to learn and forgive that most women twice her age and experience could not likely muster. I don't refer to her as 'Beautiful' for her physical attributes only.

Here's to you, Beautiful: You are regal in your deportment; I admire you for all that you are and all that you are not; you are an excellent example to the young girls in your classes; and you inspire me every single day.

Courtesy of Cheek:

"I have loved . . . too much if such a thing is possible. I opened myself and gave myself freely and without question, and perhaps where I fell was in expecting that my love would be returned, and for a while it was, but it is the memory of that love which sustains me and now allows me to let it go, forever.

Spring for me is a time of cleansing. The death and quiet still of winter passes us by, and we rejoice in the celebration of life; and we remember those which we have loved, as we kiss them goodbye and turn away towards tomorrow."




5 comments:

whitenoise said...

Good for her. Grace under pressure is hard at that age. Sounds like you've taught her well.

Rick said...

A stunning example of grace! Peace to you all.

Storybook Woods said...

I am so proud of beautiful. Even though this will always be a painful time in her life, it will also be a time of pride for her.
Love Clarice

Kristin said...

Thanks for the support : ) Beautiful will eventually read your comments and I know she'll be appreciative.

Mary said...

How lovely it is when a daughter realizes her self-worth, makes any changes that are necessary, and grows in knowledge, experience and wisdom.

Good on you, B!