Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Only 6?

The 6 Weird Things About Me meme.

If I asked my family, they'd pile on a hell of lot more than 6!

1. Waffles. I have waffle issues. I do not like homemade waffles--no matter who makes them, sorry Clarice : ) I do not like Belgian waffles. I like frozen waffles from the grocery store--but ONLY Eggo waffles. Reason? Non Eggo waffles have plateaus. Eggo waffles have peaks which get all crunchy in the toaster. There you go. All the reason I need.

2. I am not yet a grown-up. I have never learned to like coffee or tea. I can't enjoy Seattle's pastime and I can't have a comforting cuppa with my children or friends. It will be a surprise to nobody that the only hot drink I like is hot chocolate : ) Well, except for Clarice's mulled wine mixed with spiced cider--it's like drinking a nice, warm hug!

3. Burnt out light bulbs and their resultant darkness depress me. But I have a serious aversion to changing burnt out light bulbs. A poorly lit house due to burnt out light bulbs depresses me. But I have a serious aversion to changing burnt out light bulbs . . .

4. I have an irrationally low thresh hold for being around people. I like to cook for guests, but I don't want to eat with them. I enjoy the house being full of my kids and their friends with their game playing/movie watching, etc., but I'd rather take a solitary walk than be stuck for too long near them. I am terrified of awkward pauses in conversation--so if I've never met you, I would be reluctant to get together for that reason. I prefer the quiet of my own space and interfacing via computer to being face-to-face with people. Any people. Often times even my closest friends.

Yes. I am seeing a therapist. Sort of. But I don't like being in a room with her. And talking to her. Awkward pauses and all . . .

5. I set an alarm but I refuse to get out of bed just because it's ringing. I don't like being told what to do. It has to be my idea. I hit the snooze and wait a few minutes, then I enjoy the last word in the argument by getting up of my own accord and turning the alarm off before it can boss me around more.

6. I don't like mouths and teeth. I can't stomach the sound or sight of someone else brushing their teeth or using mouthwash. I am nauseated by other people flossing. I have to change the channel if I see a TV commercial featuring actors performing any kind of oral hygiene. I cannot tolerate people eating cold cereal in my presence, what with all the crunching and slurping going on--ick!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter has learned that to win any sort of goofball argument she and I might be having, all she has to do is pantomime flossing her teeth--that's all it takes to make me close my eyes, cover my ears and cry out "Uncle!"

I mentioned that I am seeing a therapist, right?

Oh--and Mary, consider yourself tagged : )

20 comments:

whitenoise said...

personally, I prefer to be called "eccentric" ;-)

CheekierMeSly said...

Well, whitenoise, I know this is CountryMouse's blag, but tag! You're it! I've already done this exercise, as has Sheena. CM, you need to tag 4 more people!

Rick said...

All of these weird reasons are why we keep coming back! It is sorta like the zoo, we look through the glass at this odd little creature, knowing we are safe it decides to go off! :)

whitenoise said...

crap. me and my big mouth...

CheekierMeSly said...

Rick, I'm gonna bet that CountryMouse will tag you too.

Rick said...

cheekiermesly why do you think she will disaprove of my zoo analogy?

Kristin said...

Cheek--I can't tag 4 more people. I don't *know* 4 more people (see #4 : )

Rick, Rick, Rick . . . actually, that wouldn't be the first time I've been compared to a zoo creature. My kids have drawn some unfavorable parallels between me and an anti-social, nocturnal inhabitant of the reptile house who needs extensive *solitary* rock sunning before interacting with the daytime . . .

Alright. Fine. InfluenceBad--yer up : ) Whitenoise, let's just see how "eccentric" you are : ) Rick--I can't remember if you've done this one already, but if not--you know you have it coming to you : ) Geggie, I haven't read far enough back in your archives to know whether you've done this meme. If not, have fun with it : )

Rick said...

kristin- you know I worship you but I am certainly glad you are not my mother. I wouldn't be able to understand a word you say!

CheekierMeSly said...

Um, Kristen? Be careful. They draw comics about you, or did you already know?

Mary said...

Well, at least I'll now have something to write about. :-)

Thanks for tagging Influencebad - now I don't have a prayer of doing this without my family seeing my answers.

Kristin said...

Rick, you never cease to make me smile : )

Cheek--oh my--that is too spot on! Beautiful looked at it and asked, "Which is supposed to be you, Mom: the disgruntled, unappreciative zoo-goer or the misanthropic croc? It's a tossup, but I think you're the croc." Can you feel the love?

Mary--heh heh : ) I have a sneaking suspicion your family might already be versed in your oddities ; )

CheekierMeSly said...

You're totally the croc. But not the monkey. Beautiful might have a candidate for the monkey, tho'.

Rick said...

cheekiermesly you are a nut! brilliant, but a nut none the less

CheekierMeSly said...

You should *so* tag mr. pid. His MySpace ho-ness has a blag function, yes? And what about Beautiful?

Kristin said...

Okay, Stuart has been tagged. Don't know that he'll bother : )

And I wouldn't have thought about Beautiful. That might be fun! I could help her remember some of the weird things about herself--like how she can *only* eat raw chocolate chips 5 at a time . . . and she has such a soft spot for the underdog that this cartoon is pretty much a day in her life: http://www.xkcd.com/c175.html

[I have no idea how to link in a comment. I'm a sad and dumb little mouse . . . ]

Influencebad said...

All right you rogue, I've done your meme! ^_^

And by the way, I have the same aversion to changing light bulbs! Probably about the half the lights in my place have burned out, and have been for much longer than I care to think about. ^_^ Will I replace those bulbs any time soon?

No.

Influencebad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gledwood said...

Country Mouse?? I have a Chinese Mouse. It is very cute. And has a really short tail.

Why you call yourself by that name tho??

Did you know I got tagged by the selfsame 6 weird things tag a couple of months ago. How odd that it is still doing the rounds ..! (You can see the evidence on my blogue if you don't believe me!)

Well I'm going to go back to your blog. It is a nice read!

You're welcome to drop by mine btw. It is a kind of blog-diary & quite different from yours.

In case you're wondering how I got here it was via Whitenoise who is kind of a friend of a couple of friends ...

Take it EZ

Gleds

Holly said...

OH MY GOD!

I thought I was the only one who freaked out abot mouths.
I turn the channel when someone is brushing their teeth. Eeewwwee!
I hate to see flossing, drooling, brushing, picking, or anything.

I am so happy to not be alone.

Kristin said...

Holly--incredible! I am so tickled to find a fellow oraphobe! My daughter was standing behind me yesterday drinking a glass of water and I just *had* to ask "could you not be so near me when you swallow?" She nearly spit water through her nose laughing at me.

I've taken a quick gander at your page and will definitely be back!