Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Grass Is Always Red Greener . . .

I'm not even going to touch the horrific news. Rick said it well . . .

Instead, I have a characteristic slice of Little Guy's life to report on. [Note: Henceforth I shall be referring to Little Guy as 'Youngest'. I think 'Little Guy' might become insulting as he nudges ever closer to becoming a teenager.]

So. A slice of Youngest's life.

Today, after school lessons were done, Youngest informed me that he was going out to Dad's shop to build a skateboard. Not exactly sure what prompted that fancy seeing as he already has a decent skateboard, but who am I to kill the dream?

Using scraps of wood plus trucks and wheels from a garage sale find (again--why buy a skateboard at a garage sale when he already has one? There are some things a mother learns not to ask) Youngest fashioned a clunky, if not quite clever, facsimile of an old school board.

And then he came to the best part:

"And guess what, Mom? It's going to be powered by a leaf blower!"

He becomes more and more like his hero every day.

I'll try to post a picture. Assuming my camera can capture the speed and precision of such a machine. Duct tape and all . . .



ADDENDUM: Unwieldy would be an accurate way of describing this masterpiece : ) Also in our back yard: Youngest has a tightrope (with guide wire for safety and balance) and is busily fabricating one superbicycle from the corpses of several defunct old bikes. Carry on, Youngest!

4 comments:

whitenoise said...

Right on, Little Guy!

CheekierMeSly said...

Youngest is clever and full of gumption. I like the way he sees the world - and your way of sharing it with us. Brings to mind:
"You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." – Jack London
"The artist brings something into the world that didn't exist before, and he does it without destroying something else." - John Updike

Mary said...

Since my youngest thinks your youngest can do anything, and I've seen some pretty hefty corroborating evidence of this, I'm not the least bit surprised at his ingenuity.

This adoration has caused some stir in my household though as my husband is not amused to find his handyman skills being compared, and found sadly lacking, with Youngest's skills.

Kristin said...

If it helps at all, Mary, Number One Son finds himself a little intimidated by Youngest's skill in the physical universe. It's tough not to be able to live up to little brother's example!

Cheek--love the Jack London quote!

Whitenoise--your comment caused Youngest to beam with pride : )