Sunday, March 18, 2007

my world continues to implode . . .

If it isn't one thing, it's something else. Right?

Things that have changed this year:
  • Number One, while consistently earning a 4.0 GPA as a mechanical engineering student (and garnering amazing, wonderful awards to boot) has taken to brewing his own beer in his room. Can't be like all the other college boys and just *buy* beer. Nope. Not this one. His motto as a toddler was, "I do by self!" Evidently, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
  • Beautiful. She's beautiful. Well, she was. With advent of 'boyfriend' and independence, she has chosen to pierce her lip. Thereby disfiguring what was once (and I'm not exaggerating just because I'm her mother. Not much.) a stunning face. People used to stop her on the street and tell her how gorgeous she was. I'll be fair and admit those people were guys in their 20's. And 30's. And 40's. And occasionally in their 60's. ewwwww! Maybe the piercing was a rebellious attempt to stop menfolk from ogling her. Cause I know how I hate when that happens to me! Mmmm hmmm.

And now--drum roll please--to cap off what is likely only the top of the list of unwelcome changes I am forced to endure with no choice whatsoever:

  • 11 year old, I learned in conversation tonight, aspires to be just like Red Green. Or--better still--Jack Black. What ever happened to little boys wanting to be firemen? Or be like their dads? Or Superman! When did Red Green and Jack Black become heroes worthy of worship and imitation?

Fiddle dee dee, tomorrow is another day . . .

5 comments:

Mary said...

What can I say? My oldest, after seeing "Sesame Street" one too many times, decided that being a trash collector was the job for her. All through her early years when asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, she'd say "either a palentologist or a trash collector".

Oh yeah. Then there was the period of time when she wanted to be Peter Pan.

Don't ask.

whitenoise said...

My oldest, possessor of the absolute worst work habits, often says that he plans on delivering pizzas and living in my basement.

Nobody knows if he's serious...

Kristin said...

Don't you just love how kids are all over the map like that? Either paleontologist or trash collector or Peter Pan--whatever : )

Omigosh--whitenoise, I laughed so hard at the basement/pizza delivery comment! You're probably not laughing quite as hard . . .

Anonymous said...

The only constant in 11-year old aspirations is their inevitable change.

Kristin said...

Too true, Anon. His prviously cherished lifegoal was to be a bagger at his favorite grocerty store. *sigh*

Oh well, as someone once said, if you aim low, you're never disappointed : )