Monday, March 26, 2007

My First Memester

I loved this meme so much, I just had to borrow it from my friend, Mary.

1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times.

My First Mister
The Lover
Zoolander
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Ever After
The Breakfast Club
The Usual Suspects
Strictly Ballroom
and Muriel's Wedding (both of which were on cable this weekend--cool coincidence!)

2. Name a movie that you’ve seen multiple times in the theater.

the original Star Wars

3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie.

Heath Ledger . . . for his superior acting abilities . . . yeah, that's why . . .
Leonardo DiCaprio
John Cusack
Toni Collette
Robert Downy, Jr.
Giovanni Ribisi
Brenda Blethyn
Greg Kinnear
Kate Winslet

4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie.

Tom Cruise
Elizabeth Berkley
Clint Eastwood
Pamela Anderson
Pauly Shore (I think Pauly needs to be taken to a farm and worked really, really hard and only be allowed to eat that which he has grown and harvested with his own hands . . . )


5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from.

Orange County

  • "Dude, I never went to college and check me out. I'm kick ass!"
  • "I love you, man. We don't say that often enough. And it's not the drugs talking."
  • "You think you're going to create a T-shirt company? You can't even dress yourself!"
  • "You're my same height--that is neat!"
  • Mother: "You expect me to drop everything and entertain these people?" Son: "Mom, you aren't doing anything."
  • "We got a sprinter. Five foot five, no pants, unkempt... portly."

Zoolander

  • "*cough, cough* I think I'm getting the Black Lung, Pop"
  • "Merman! MerMAN!"
  • " . . . it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident."
  • "Or did you think I was too stupid to know what a eugoogooly was?"
  • "One look? One LOOK? I don't THINK so!"
  • "Oh, I'm sorry, did my pin get in the way of your ass? Do me a favor and lose five pounds immediately . . . "
  • " . . . whatever it takes, ruin as many people's lives, so long as you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied along the way, just so long as you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied and dying along the way?"
  • " . . . how many abo-digitals do you see modelling?"
  • "Obey my dog!"

Monsters, Inc.

  • "Stop talking, you're making it worse!"

6. Name a movie musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

And, copying Mary's answer, Grease. Not only can I sing all the songs, but as a youngster I was part of a group that did a little entertaining with dance and acrobatics--I can also dance to some of these songs. Yeah, Baby!

7. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with.

Moulin Rouge--the Roxanne/tango/rape/crime-of-passion number. Brilliant!

Parts of Chicago--particularly the Cell Block Tango.

(hmmm, tangos, anger and murder are the themes to which I cheerfully hum along?)

8. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.

Millions

At the end, the quiet way the simple parallel is drawn between life sustaining water and The Living Water is so subtle and unobtrusive but is the real point of the whole movie. This film charmingly puts all that is truly important into perspective without being heavy handed about it.

9. Name a movie that you own.

Finding Nemo

10. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.

*sigh* What else can I say about Mark Whalberg? From Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (!) to The Departed. A major feat.

11. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? If so, what?

I've been to the drive-in. Can't say as I've ever seen a movie there.

12. Ever made out in a movie?

Isn't that why they turn the lights off?

13. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven’t yet gotten around to it.

Rent

14. Ever walked out of a movie?

Again--I must repeat what Mary had to say. Almost didn't make it through Pulp Fiction for many reasons, but particularly because of the S&M scene. That whole section really bothered me. REALLY bothered me.

15. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.

Terminator I cry at everything : )


16. Popcorn?

Extra butter, please.

17. How often do you go to the movies (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?

Once every couple months.

18. What’s the last movie you saw in the theater?

Music and Lyrics

19. What’s your favorite/preferred genre of movie?

Non mainstream films--things like The Music of Chance. And {embarrassed smile} chick flicks. I have so had enough of mafia movies already!

20. What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?

Born Free That's weird, I just looked it up and it was originally released in 1966--way before I was born. I probably didn't see it until 1975ish? Must have been re-released.

21. What movie do you wish you had never seen?

Color of Night Seriously, seriously bad movie. Bad movie. Bad movie!

22. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?

Being John Malkovich

23. What is the scariest movie you’ve seen?

The original Stepford Wives. I had never seen it until a couple of years ago, so I viewed it through mom eyes. (Stop reading if you haven't seen it.)

The manipulation at the end when they used her children's voices calling out for her help was nothing short of diabolical. Knowing it would be the end of her, she couldn't help but try to rescue her children anyway. Disturbed me for weeks. Weeks.

24. What is the funniest movie you’ve seen?

The first time I saw American Pie. Primarily because I saw it with Mister who laughed till his voice was raw and tears were streaming down his face. He so identified with being in high school, trying always to be cool (even though he was one of the cool kids it was a tough facade to keep up) and the perpetual hunt to get laid that first time.

Pompously adding a final question of my own:
25: What movie do you wish you would have seen in the theater?

Billy Elliot--if only for the final scene. As Billy is preparing to take the stage in his debut as a Principal dancer in an all male version of Swan Lake, the shots go back and forth between the audience and Billy. The music begins to build. In the audience are his father and brother, as well as his friends from the old mining town (hyperventilating with anticipation and disbelief that one of their own has made it big.) The actor who plays the father nails it. There sits this manual labor slave, bursting with pride over his son (a ballet dancer, for heaven's sake!) trying desperately to contain the tears that will at any moment breach the dam.

Backstage, Billy looks calm and ready as he stretches. As the music decreases tempo in a downward scale while getting progressively louder, the grown-up Billy runs onstage and begins to lift into a leap. It's edited in slow motion, showing the mechanics of the jump and the parts of his body as he rises into flight. Torso, legs, beautifully arched foot. Finally there is a full shot of the powerful elegance of his entrance. That scene alone, sending shivers down my spine every single time I see it, would have been worth the price of a ticket to experience on the big screen.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I saw "Billy Elliot" in the theater, Kristin. It was absolutely phenomenal. What's even better is that I saw it in an older theater. Deep, cushy seats, massive screen. It was perfect.

I love the question you added.

I wish I'd seen "Hero" (the Chinese one from 2002) on the big screen. It was nearly unbearably beautiful and striking visually on the television screen. I imagine it was amazing on the big screen.

Well, that or "Earth Girls are Easy". It's a toss-up.